Home YSF » YSF Applications
Key dates for YSF 2022
YSF/Congress registration and abstract submission opening: 1 November 2021 (TBC)
YSF application deadline: December 15, 2021
Notifications of YSF award winners: February 10, 2022 (TBC)
IUBMB–FEBS–PABMB YSF 2022: July 6−9, 2022
IUBMB–FEBS–PABMB Congress 2022: July 9−14, 2022
Support from IUBMB, FEBS and PABMB
The IUBMB–FEBS–PABMB YSF is a global event, with support provided for the selected participants by the three funding parties according to where participants are studying as a PhD student or working as a postdoctoral fellow: as explained in more detail under eligibility criteria, FEBS will cover participants from its area of Europe and neighbouring regions, PABMB will cover Latin America, and IUBMB will cover other countries.
Financial support for participation in the YSF and the ensuing Congress to those selected to take part in the YSF will be via YSF grants that can only be used to support participation in the IUBMB–FEBS–PABMB YSF and Congress 2022, and those selected must attend both the events. Grants will cover registration and accommodation in shared rooms (for both events) and up to 80% of the travel costs to Lisbon. Awards will only be made to support travel from the applicant’s current country of residence to and from Lisbon. The amount awarded will be based on the distance travelled and the most affordable options. The grant payments will be processed after the event independently by FEBS, PABMB and IUBMB for the selected individuals each organization is funding, and specific reimbursement information will be available after selection.
Eligibility criteria for the IUBMB–FEBS–PABMB YSF
PhD students and postdoctoral fellows are welcome to submit applications if they fulfil all of the following criteria.
- be registered as a PhD student at an institute of higher learning OR be a postdoctoral scientist within five years of having completed a PhD thesis
- be up to 35 years of age, except if studies were started later, or were delayed by maternity leave (18 months per child), prolonged illness or other personal reasons
- submit a single abstract to the YSF 2022 and the IUBMB-FEBS-PABMB 2022 Congress as first author. Both events should be attended.
- fulfil the (a) FEBS or (b) PABMB or (c) IUBMB requirements below − as applicable to the country where you are studying or working
Regional requirements(a) For applicants from the FEBS area of Europe and neighbouring regions who will be supported by FEBS YSF grants, applicants must:
- be studying or working in a country where there is a FEBS Constituent Society
- be a member of a FEBS Constituent Society
- not have received a grant from FEBS to attend a previous YSF, nor a FEBS YTF award for a 2022 FEBS Advanced Course
Please note that the number of meeting travel awards you have previously received from FEBS (FEBS Congress Bursary, FEBS YSF grant, and FEBS YTF award for FEBS Advanced Course) may also be taken into consideration in your selection.(b) For applicants from Latin America, who will be supported by PABMB YSF grants, applicants must:
- be studying or working in a Latin American country where there is a PABMB Constituent Society
- be a member of a PABMB Constituent Society
- be studying or working in an IUBMB member country that does not have a FEBS Constituent Society nor is a Latin American country with a PABMB Constituent Society
- be a member of the relevant national Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology that is an Adhering Body or Associate Adhering Body of IUBMB, or have the sponsorship of a member of such a Society
How to apply
YSF applications must be made through the Congress website’s registration and abstract submission system by December 15, 2021.
- Select the YSF Applicant option, and complete a registration order valued at 0 Euros by entering your details on the registration form and selecting the YSF waiver option
- Submit an abstract as first author to one of the Congress abstract topics (in the 'Posters' track)
- Upload the following supporting documents in a single pdf file during registration:
- Curriculum Vitae, prepared using the IUBMB–FEBS–PABMB Congress 2022 CV template (available in autumn 2021)
- Letter of Motivation, describing reasons why you would benefit from attending the YSF and Congress, in not more than 300 words
- Letter of Recommendation from your supervisor, not exceeding 300 words, and including your supervisor's signature and contact data (address, phone number, e-mail)
- Proof of Status: PhD student, or post-doctoral scientist within 5 years of receiving a PhD
- Proof of Age: a scanned copy of ID showing date of birth (national ID card or passport). Over 35s with special circumstances should upload additional supporting documents
- For applicants for support from FEBS or PABMB: Proof of current Constituent Society membership: a scanned copy of current membership certificate/letter from your Constituent Society
- For applicants for support from IUBMB: Proof of current relevant Society membership (see part c above) or of sponsorship by a member of the Society: a scanned copy of current membership certificate/letter from your Society or, in the case of sponsorship, a signed letter of support from a member of the country’s Society
Abstract submission must follow the requirements and guidelines on the Congress Call for Abstracts page (available in autumn 2021) for the IUBMB–FEBS–PABMB Congress, noting the earlier deadline for YSF abstracts. Abstracts submitted by YSF Applicants and accepted for the YSF cannot be edited after the YSF application deadline.
Until the announcement of YSF evaluation results, YSF applicants' registration/participant status will be held as pending. Unsuccessful YSF applicants will be able to switch participant types in the Congress registration system after outcome notifications.
Application and abstract assessments
Applications to the IUBMB–FEBS–PABMB YSF 2022 will be assessed by its Organizing Committee and, according to the grant-awarding organization applicable to your application, the Chair of the FEBS Working Group on the Careers of Young Scientists, the Chair of the IUBMB Committee for Congresses and Focused Meetings, or the President of PABMB.
All successful applicants will present their work at the YSF as posters and 1-min talks. In addition, all abstracts of successful applicants will be considered for oral presentations of 10–15 min during the YSF program. Outcomes on presentation selections are expected to be notified shortly after the time of announcement of selected YSF participants.
Abstracts from successful YSF applicants are also included in the ensuing IUBMB–FEBS–PABMB Congress, where they will be presented as posters. If you are interested in oral presentation opportunities at the Congress, please answer 'yes' to a question on this in the abstract submission system. Assessment for this will be carried out by a committee of the Congress and is independent of selection for an oral presentation at the YSF.